Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Homemade Dishwasher & Laundry Detergent

I came across recipes for homemade dishwasher and laundry detergent on a website or blog but I cant remember where it was; I just wrote down the recipes - so I take no credit for these creations! :) I was nearly almost out of both dish and laundry detergent so I thought I would give these a shot....plus it is much cheaper and lasts longer!

(Use in your appliances at your own risk)


Dishwasher Detergent

1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
2 cups (1container) LemiShine
plastic container/scooper




All of these products I found at Walmart in the detergent aisle. You just mix it all together and use approximately 1 Tablespoon per compartment.



Laundry Detergent

1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 bar Fels Naptha Soap, grated
1/4 cup Oxy Clean (optional)
grater
container/scooper

Mix it all together; it will look clumpy.




Use 1 Tablespoon for light loads and 2 Tablespoons for larger loads.  I made a double batch and used the OxyClean.

Just thought I would share...it was fun to make! :) I will update with how I like them and how long they are lasting!

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, thanks for your comment. I just made my second batch of the dishwasher detergent and it got hard after several days like you were describing. My first batch didn't do that, so I don't know if it is the weather or something?? Anyway, I just mash it up with a metal spoon and still use it, even it if is a little clumpy. One thing to try might be adding the LemiShine to the dishwasher separately (put in the Borax/washing soda mix and then add the Lemishine like it says to according to the package)? I think the Lemishine is causing the hardness. After several months of use, I don't LOVE the dishwasher detergent like I thought I was going to, but it still seems to do the job and saves money. I'll be interested to hear more of your thoughts about it or if you figure anything else out.

    ReplyDelete